I made the recipe as I’m printing it once, and the next time I used a smidge of nutritional yeast with the flour and didn’t bother with the bacon. Both times it was delicious! Enjoy 🙂
- 2 pounds Sweet Potatoes
- 4 strips Morningstar Farms Veggie Bacon
- 1 whole Onion, Chopped
- 2-½ Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- ¼ teaspoons Black Pepper
- 2 cups Milk (I used almond milk, but you could use regular milk or even cream if you’re brave and looking for a heart attack…)
- 1-¼ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
Potluck tip: if prepared in advance, bake as directed, cover and refrigerate for up to one day. Reheat at 325 degrees for 15 minutes covered, then remove cover and continue heating until warm.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Peel potatoes; cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place potatoes in a large pot of boiling water. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until just tender. Drain well and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Crumble and set aside.
3. Add chopped onion to remaining bacon butter and cook until tender. Stir in flour over low heat and cook to a paste. Add salt and pepper. Add milk and cook until mixture thickens slightly.
4. Arrange half of the sweet potatoes in the bottom of an 11×7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle on half of the crumbled bacon. Pour on half of the milk mixture. Arrange remaining potatoes, sprinkle with remaining bacon and pour the rest of the milk mixture over the top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. If desired, brown cheese for 1-2 minutes under the broiler.