This simple 5-ingredient meal takes less than half an hour to make (actually, about 15 minutes) and is perfect for summer, with its delicious lemon zing. It’s also much less fattening than the traditional Italian recipe, since you’ll use a low fat or fat free cream cheese instead of heavy cream.
4oz (1/2 cup) low fat or fat free cream cheese
Juice and grated/zested rind of 1 Lemon
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup Parsley, chopped
– Cook the linguine according to package directions.
– As the pasta is cooking, warm the cream cheese, oil, and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice in a small sauce pan on low heat.
– As is warms, stir or whisk until smooth.
– As you drain the pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
– Return pasta to the pot.
– Whisk the 1/2 cup of cooking water into the lemon cream sauce, and then pour over pasta.
– Add parsley and lemon zest and stir until pasta is well coated and parsley and lemon zest are mixed throughout.
– Serve topped with Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper to taste.
– I use vegan cream cheese in our house.
– This is a very simple recipe, and thus great to modify or add to. If you feel like getting fancy, toss in any of the following:
~ Cooked asparagus
~ fresh basil
~ Cherry tomatoes
~ Garlic (use fresh, and sautee in the oil before adding cream cheese and lemon for the sauce)